Frequently Asked Questions

I got a 1099-K, what do I do with that?

Please include that in your tax paperwork and bring to your appointment. Be prepared to explain why you received the income. If it could be due to business or hobby services please prepare statement with all of the expenses related to this income. You can use our worksheet (link to: to help you gather this information.

Am I still required to have health Insurance?

The law is yes we are required to have health insurance. Changes in the TCJA act are that you will not be assessed a penalty on your tax return if you do not have health insurance. If you receive insurance through the marketplace then you will need to bring a copy of your 1095A form to your appointment.

How do I get a copy of my Wage and Income Statement from the IRS?

Visit to get a white paper to help you in setting up an account with the IRS. Note it will ask you to upload a copy of your drivers license. This is legit and is part of the process to prove your identity. You can also check out FAQ from IRS here to help with creating an account.

I got a 1099-NEC from a company where I buy items from for a discount not available to everyone. Do I have to file as a business even though I don’t resell?

The short answer is it depends. Each persons tax situation is different most people in this situation are considered hobbyist. This means that you will need to pay income taxes on the discount that your received but will not need to pay Self Employment Taxes. There are 9 tests to help determine if you are a hobbyist or an actual business.

I am a member of the clergy group and receive both a salary and a housing allowance, is my housing taxable?

Your housing allowance may or may not be taxable. There are 3 parts to determine its taxability. You may exclude the portion of your allowance that is the lower of the following, Fair Market Rental Value + Utilities, Direct Expenses, or the amount of housing allowance you receive. Other things to affect your taxes is that Clergy members fall as W-2 employees but need to pay Self Employment taxes. We love working with members of the religious community and have a worksheet to help you gather information for your return.

I am 75 years old and still working con I contribute to an IRA? Do I have to take RMD’s?

Under the SECURE Act of 2019 there is no longer an age limit to contributing to an IRA Account. As long as you have earned income (W-2, Self Employed Profit) then you may make contributions into and IRA following the same laws that are in effect to the limits that you may contribute. The Secure Act 2.0 became law in 2022 and added the following items. Starting in 2023 RMDs are required for those age 73 up from 72. Age will rise to 75 in 2033. If you don’t take your RMD’s the penalty is reduced to 25% from 50% and will be reduced to 10% if IRA owner takes the late withdrawal and submits an amended tax return.

How do I keep track of mileage for my business?

IRS requires you to keep a mileage log for your business. Mileage log needs to include your Starting Odometer on January 1, When you take a business trip write down date, starting location, ending location, starting odometer, ending odometer and the purpose of the drive. If you did not keep a mileage log then you will need to recreate one. Use of Day planner, calendars, appointment can assist in helping you with this. Google Maps will become your friend to get mileage from location to location. I recommend that you keep a notebook in your car so you can quickly jot down required information or you could use an app on your phone to help you. (MileIQ, Cardata, Everlance, Quickbooks, Zoho, Freshbooks, …)

Does the IRS have an App I can use on my phone to check refund status or make payments?

Yes. IRS2Go is the official mobile app.

I installed Solar Panels and/or purchased an electric vehicle do I get any tax credits?

For solar panels installed between 2022 – 2032 you may get up to 30% of your purchase amount as a credit. Unused Credits will be rolled over.

For Electric Vehicles that are the laws that were in place if you purchased before 8/16/2022, If you purchased between 8/16/2022 and 12/31/2022 then the credit is limited to vehicles with final assembly in North America. Some models still won’t qualify (Notably Tesla and GM models) due to vehicle production caps. Starting in 2023 production caps are removed but new restrictions including batter raw materials and assembly North America requirements and purchase price limits